Quick links: Apple Pickles | Apple Tarts | Apple Pie | Apple Pastries | Apple Sass | Apple Cake/Cupcakes | Apple Dumplings | Apple Fritters | Apple Cider | Apples (Stewed) | Apples (Baked) | Apples Fried | Bacon and Eggs Breakfast | Hot Chocolate | VerdictFollow @DisneyMeals
After last week’s giant feast, I was hoping for a slower week. I was even going to combine Melody Time and the Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, in hopes that neither of them had much food in it, but I was wrong. Melody Time started off calm with some nice Fantasia-like segments. But then came the Johnny Appleseed short. Johnny Appleseed meets his guardian angel who goes through all the different ways to prepare apples. After watching that, my hopes for a slow week were demolished. At least they were tasty recipes to try.
If you want to watch the whole Johnny Appleseed segment for ol’ time sakes, look no further.
Skip to 5:54 for the apple song where all these recipes come from.
There was some more food mentioned in the other segments of the movie, like a fantastical cocktail during the “Blame it On Samba” song and a hearty cowboy breakfast from “Pecos Bill.” But most of the food will be apple-based this week.
When the time came to actually make the food featured in Melody Time, I came down with a bad flu. So most of this week’s food was prepared by my lovely wife. Which works out anyway, she’s the better baker out of us.
The song that mentions all these lovely recipes starts by mentioning Apple Pickles.
I didn’t even know Apple Pickles were a thing. Sadly, we weren’t able to start pickling the apples far enough in advance for them to reach their full pickled state by the time this article dropped. It takes at least a week for them to reach that. But I’ll update the article when I try them fully pickled.
|1 cup||cider vinegar|
|1 tablespoon||whole cloves|
|1 tablespoon||ground nutmeg|
|1 tablespoon||ground ginger|
|6||apples peeled, cored, sliced|
|1/2 cup||lemon juice|
- Place the water, cider vinegar, sugar, allspice, clove, nutmeg, and ginger into a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, toss the sliced apples with the lemon juice and pack into two sterilized 1 quart canning jars with lids and rings.
- Pour the boiling syrup over the apples and affix the lids and rings.
- Allow the jars to stand at room temperature until cool.
- Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight.
- Place in refrigerator and wait 1 week before opening.
These were really fun. Mini-apple pies. In the song the Apple Angel causes a small apple tart to appear in Johnny’s mouth, later to be replaced by a real-sized pie. We used basically the same recipe for the pie and the tarts. The only differences were that we baked the tarts in a cupcake tray and we diced up the apples more.
|pie crust (See apple pie recipe)|
|2||apples cored, finely chopped (about 1/4 inch pieces)|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
|1 teaspoon||vanilla extract|
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Roll out pie crust.
- Using a large cookie cutter, cut out rounds.
- Gather scraps and re-roll to cut out more rounds to total 10.
- Press each crust round into ungreased regular-size muffin cup.
- In medium bowl, stir together apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Divide mixture evenly among crust-lined muffin cups.
- If there is extra crust, add some to the top of the mini pies.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until crusts are golden borwn and mixture is bubbly.
- Cool completely in pan, about 30 minutes.
- Loosen edges with knife; remove mini pies from muffin cups. Enjoy!
Wow, what a mouthful. I’m glad my apple Angel didn’t cause the tart to expand in my mouth… it woulda hurt.
|1 3/4 cups||butter-flavored shortening|
|1/2 cup||ice water|
|1/2 cup||packed brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon||groud cinnamon|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground ginger|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground nutmeg|
|6-7 cups||tart apples peeled, thinly sliced|
|1 tablespoon||lemon juice|
- In a large bowl and using a pastry blender or fork, mix flour, shortening, sugar, and salt until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, egg, and water; mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and blend quickly. Be careful not to overwork the dough; mix just until liquid is absorbed by the flour mixture.
- Refrigerate at least 15 minutes before rolling. This dough can be divided into individual crust portions, wrapped, and frozen for later use.
- In small bowl, combine sugars, flour, and spices; set aside.
- In a large bowl toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line 9-in pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge.
- Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal, and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
This we mentioned in the song, but shown later in the segment.
Our pastries weren’t round, but they tasted just as good.
|1 (17-ounce) package||puff pastry sheet|
|12 ounces||red apples (approx. 2 medium apples), cut up|
|1/3 cup||packed brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon||lemon juice|
- Thaw puff pastry according to directions on package
- Peel, core, and chop apples up coarsely
- Combine apples with sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Flour surace lightly and cut pastry sheet into nine 3×3 inch squares
- Place approx. 1/4 cup apple mixture on each square and brush edge with beaten egg.
- Place second pastry square on the top of the already filled pastry to form a pocket
- Press down border with fingers to seal and then press with fork to decorate the edges
- Make a 1-inch L shape incision into each pie and fold back the pastry flap
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and give each one an egg wash
- Bake for approx. 20 mins or until golden.
When I first watched this clip, I thought Johnny said apple sauce with a southern accent.
But I have since found out that apple sass is apparently a real thing, but is similar to apple sauce. If anyone can advise further, that would be great. However for this week, we just ate store-bought apple sauce. But here’s a recipe for home made.
|4||apples peeled, cored and chopped|
|1/4 cup||white sugar|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
- In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft.
- Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.
Another food I had never tried was apple cake. I was excited to make this one. In the show, they actually talk about apple cake, but then show apple cupcakes as well later on.
So we made both. And oh boy, it is delicious. My favorite recipe of the lot.
|2 1/3 cups||unbleached all-purpose flour|
|2 cups||granulated sugar|
|2 teaspoons||baking soda|
|1 1/2 teaspoons||apple pie spice|
|1/2 cup||vegetable shortening (trans-fat free)|
|4 cups||peeled, chopped apples (about 1 pound before peeling)|
|1 cup||walnuts chopped|
|5 tablespoons||unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup||firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark)|
|1 1/2 cups||powdered sugar|
|1/2 teaspoon||vanilla extract|
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- To make the cake: Mix all of the ingredients except the apples and nuts in a large bowl.
- Beat until well combined; the mixture will be very stiff, and may even be crumbly.
- Add the apples and nuts, and mix until the apples release some of their juice and the stiff mixture becomes a thick batter, somewhere between cookie dough and brownie batter in consistency.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan, smoothing it with your wet fingers.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few wet crumbs clinging to it.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a rack to cool completely; don’t remove the cake from the pan.
- To make the frosting: Melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and salt and cook, stirring, until the sugar melts.
- Add the milk, bring to a boil, and pour into a mixing bowl to cool for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, stir in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Beat well; if the mixture appears too thin, add more confectioners’ sugar. Spread on the cake while frosting is still warm.
I had heard of apple dumplings (probably because of the Apple Dumpling Gang) But I had never tasted an apple dumpling. I was really missing out.
|3 cups||all-purpose flour|
|1/3 cup||cold water|
|8||medium tart apples peeled and cored|
|9 teaspoons||cinnamon-sugar, divided|
|1 1/2 cups||packed brown sugar|
|1/2 cup||butter cubed|
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide into eight portions.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll each portion of dough between two lightly floured sheets of waxed paper into a 7-in. square. Place an apple on each square.
- Place 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar in the center of each apple.
- Gently bring up corners of pastry to each center; pinch edges to seal. If desired, cut out apple leaves and stems from dough scraps; attach to dumplings with water.
- Place in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients.
- Bring just to a boil, stirring until blended.
- Pour over apples.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown, basting occasionally with sauce.
- Serve warm.Source: tasteofhome.com
When I think of Apple Fritters, I think of the giant ones that you get at the donut shop. I never loved apple fritters, but when I was a kid, I would get them because they were usually the biggest donut.
However, these apple fritters were a little different. In the song, the angel describes the apple fritters being “as light as a thistle.” And they show little round ones.
So we made smaller, lighter apple fritters. They were delicious.
|1 teaspoon||baking powder|
|1/3 cup||heavy cream|
|1 tablespoon||butter melted|
|1||small apple peeled, and diced|
|2 cups||vegetable oil|
|powdered sugar for serving|
- In large cast iron (or similar heavy) pan heat the oil over medium heat to 350.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together lightly the cream, butter, and egg.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring lightly, then fold in the diced apples. Be careful not to over mix.
- Ensure the oil is hot enough by dropping in once apple piece coated in batter; it should sink then immediately float to the surface and bubbles should form around the edges as it fries.
- Use a 1/2 cup measure to scoop out one fritter.
- Press the batter firmly into the measuring cup, then dump it in your hand to press it flat – you wat a flat disk before dropping in in the oil. Do the same with the remaining batter.
- Fry 3-5 minutes on one side, or until golden brown, then flip and fry until the other side is golden brown.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Apple Cider (Tangy)
The angel pours Johnny some apple cider and refers to it as “tangy.”
We went out bought some fresh apple cider, but I made it into some tangy apple cider. Honestly, I liked the pure apple cider better.
Tangy Apple Cider
|8||whole cloves or to taste|
|1 gallon||apple cider|
|1/2 gallon||orange juice|
|1 quart||grapefruit juice|
- Place the cloves into a tea ball or tied-off coffee filter, and place into slow cooker.
- Pour the apple cider, orange juice, and grapefruit juice into the slow cooker, and drop in the cinnamon sticks.
- Stir once or twice.
- Set the cooker to High, cover, and cook until the mixture is hot; then keep warm on low setting.
- Serve in mugs.
Very quickly in the song, the angel mentions different ways of cooking raw apples. Stewed, baked, boiled and fried.
We did all of those. (The boiled apples went to make the apple sauce).
|6 cups||Bagged Granny Smith Apples chopped, peeled (about 2 lbs.)|
|1/2 cup||packed brown sugar|
|1/4 cup||apple juice|
|1 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
|1/8 teaspoon||ground nutmeg|
- Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat 45 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Let stand 5 minutes. Enjoy!
|1/4 cup||dried sweet cherries|
|1/4 cup||brown sugar|
|1/4 cup||pecan chopped|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
|1/2 cup||apple cider|
|3 tablespoons||butter cut into pats|
|1/2 cup||maple syrup|
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In large bowl, mix together cherries, sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Put aside
- With a melon scooper, core apples to hollow out the middle. Do not go all the way though. Fill each apple core with dry cherry mixture.
- Pour apple cider into casserole dish and place apples right side up.
- Place a pat of butter on apple hole filled with mixture.
- Drizzle maple syrup on top of all the apples.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
Bacon and Eggs Breakfast
The apple dishes are done! The last segment in the movie is the folk legend of Pecos Bill. They show some yummy bacon and eggs being cooked.
This isn’t so much of a recipe, but just a suggestion to making a good bacon and egg breakfast.
Cook the egg in the bacon grease for a yummy egg. I find that just adding salt and pepper is the best thing you can do for eggs. I know some people add season-all or garlic powder or other things like that, but I enjoy just plain salt and pepper.
Souped-up Hot Chocolate
Along with the bacon and eggs, you see a mug of coffee or hot chocolate. I don’t drink coffee, so I’m going to assume it’s hot chocolate.
Again, this is more of a suggestion, but adding a gratuitous teaspoon of Nutella to powdered hot chocolate makes it taste amazing. And of course, hot chocolate is always better when made with milk and not water.
The apple smorgasbord was really fun to do. We had never baked with so many apples. Granted, after a while, lots of the recipes started tasting similar. They all contained very similar ingredients, apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, etc. But they were all tasty, especially the cake. MMMMM.
Apple Pickles – -/10
Apple Tarts – 8/10
Apple Sauce – 7/10
Apple Pastry – 9/10
Apple Pie – 8/10
Apple Cake/cupcakes – 10/10
Apple Dumplings – 8/10
Apple Fritters – 8.5/10
Tangy Apple Cider – 7/10
Stewed Apples – 9/10
Baked Apples – 8/10
Fried Apples – 8.5/10
Bacon and Eggs – 8/10
Hot Chocolate – 9/10